The Virginia Medical-Legal Partnership (MLP) began at the University of Virginia as a holistic collaboration among the University of Virginia Children’s Hospital, the University of Virginia School of Law, and the Legal Aid Justice Center (LAJC). MLP is designed to improve the health and welfare of families with children. Our MLP provides training sessions for medical staff on legal issues that affect family and child health. Subsequently, additional MLPs were established in both our Richmond and Northern Virginia offices. Richmond LAJC partners with Children’s Hospital of Richmond at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) and the University of Richmond School of Law. A partnership has recently been formed with the Central Virginia Legal Aid Society, Legal Information Network for Cancer (LINC), and the VCU Massey Cancer Center. The LAJC Northern Virginia office collaborates with Legal Services of Northern Virginia and the InovaCares Clinic for Children in Falls Church. Our Medical-Legal Partnerships offer the following services:
- Legal Aid Justice Center staff helps families with a variety of legal problems that affect their health and well-being. Any health care provider or social worker can make a referral.
- Consultation, training and resources for health care providers and staff.
- Development and update of functional assessments for children’s SSA disability applications.
- Organization of quarterly statewide MLP meetings.
- Participation in the annual Pediatric Advocacy day at the Virginia General Assembly.
- Education for new medical residents about the services MLP provides.