Charlottesville, Richmond (VA)
About the Legal Aid Justice Center:
The Legal Aid Justice Center is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization that partners with communities and clients to achieve justice by dismantling the systems that create and perpetuate poverty. Justice means racial justice, economic justice, and social justice.
From its offices in Charlottesville, Richmond, Petersburg, and Falls Church, LAJC is a fierce advocate for low-income clients and communities in Virginia. Just in the past year, we permanently repealed Virginia’s driver’s license suspension for court debt scheme, secured an injunction slashing the number of immigrants detained by ICE at the largest detention center in the Mid-Atlantic and passed a law giving Virginia oversight authority, won the nation’s first COVID-specific, statewide, and enforceable workplace safety standards, passed legislation enabling communities to set up civilian oversight for law enforcement, and decriminalized school-based disorderly conduct, which was a leading contributor to the school-to-prison pipeline, especially for Black students.
Founded in 1967, LAJC provides services under four key program areas: Civil Rights & Racial Justice, Economic Justice, Youth Justice, and Immigrant Advocacy. LAJC boldly tackles issues of systemic injustice and aims to raise public and policymaker awareness of some of the most pressing challenges facing low-income Virginia residents. For more information, visit www.justice4all.org.
About the position:
Legal Aid Justice Center seeks a Senior Accountant to oversee accounting operations, which include financial accounting, accounts payable, and payroll. This team member will identify and implement training for both accounting and the greater organization of accounting procedures and processes. Reporting to the Director of Finance, they will oversee the system of internal controls over accounting functions to minimize risk.
- Oversees the preparation journal entries, deposits, bill payments, and other postings.
- Prepares expenditure reports and provides audit documentation for grantors.
- Prepare monthly reconciliation package.
- Reviews the preparation of annual filings, such as W2s, 1099s, and 1095s
- Ensures that financial reports comply with generally accepted accounting principles or financial reporting standards.
- Assists external auditors and provides required statements and information for the annual audit.
- Assists with annual budget, with updates prepared quarterly.
- Maintains a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Complies with local, state, and federal government requirements.
- Identifies and recommends updates to accounting processes and procedures.
- Fills in for Director of Finance or Bookkeeper as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Associates degree in Accounting, Business Administration or related field required
- Strong commitment to social, economic, and racial justice
- Experience with accounting operations, which include financial accounting, accounts payable, and payroll.
- Experience with implementing training for new hires and identifies training opportunities for current staff.
- Experience with the system of internal controls over accounting functions to minimize risk.
- Excellent management and supervisory skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Experience with accounting software.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or related field preferred
- Three years or more of related experience required.
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
This role will be based in our Richmond or Charlottesville offices. Occasional travel between offices will be required. Although a regular presence in the office is required, LAJC offers a remote work policy to support employees in co-creating schedules and arrangements that allow us all to do our best work.
December 15, 2022. We accept applications on a rolling basis and encourage candidates to apply as soon as possible.
Salary band is $75,000 to $105,000. Placement on the range will be based primarily on years of relevant experience and the anticipated hiring range is between the beginning to the middle of the range.
Our mission is compelling, and our team members are passionate about their work, and so we recognize the need to provide generous benefits and encourage rest and a healthy work environment. For example, we provide:
- Generous paid time off every year, including 3 to 6 weeks of vacation, 12 days of health leave, 6 weeks parental leave, and 14 holidays (not including bonus holidays/rest days allocated as needed)
- 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision insurance, plus excellent family insurance with annual max of $2,400 premium contribution to LAJC-sponsored health plan
- 403(b) retirement plan with 4% employer contribution (no required match)
- Strong commitment to professional development
- Relocation package
Email a cover letter and resume to Cierra Anderson at email@example.com. If you’re able, please submit your application as a single PDF titled “[date submitted in yyyy.mm.dd format][last name][first name][position sought].” Please include “Senior Accountant” in the email subject.
The Legal Aid Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. The Legal Aid Justice Center is committed to strengthening the voices of our low-income clients, working in collaboration with community partners, and rooting out the inequities that keep people in poverty. We strive to take on the issues that have broad impact on our client communities and to be responsive to client input. Recognizing the particular impact of racism on our clients and staff, we devote special attention to dismantling racial injustice. All applicants must be dedicated to working in and sustaining an environment that enables staff and clients to feel empowered, valued, respected, and safe. In reviewing applications, we look for evidence that applicants have experience and/or thoughtfulness in working with traditionally marginalized populations.
Vaccination Requirement: The Legal Aid Justice Center requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption as a qualification of employment. Proof of vaccination or accommodation request must be provided within one day of employment.