Resources from the Legal Aid Justice Center
- Fact Sheet (PDF) from the Legal Aid Justice Center on suspended drivers’ licenses
- Driven Deeper Into Debt: Unrealistic Payment Options Hurt Low-Income Debtors (May 2016)
- Virginia Supreme Court Rule 1:24 November. 2016 (Supreme Court of Virginia)
- Dear Colleague Letter on best practices regarding fines and fees (U.S. Department of Justice)
- Commonwealth Court Collections Review (Auditor of Public Accounts, Commonwealth of Virginia, April, 2013)
- Best Practice Guide to Reducing Suspended Drivers (American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, 2013
Recent Legislative Activity
- HB 1506 – Amended Va. Code § 19.2-354, effective July 1, 2015: Virginia courts are required to commit their payment plans to writing.
- HB 572 – Amends Va. Code §19.2-353.5, Effective July 1, 2016: Makes significant changes regarding the accrual of interest during period of incarceration.
- HB 572 – Amends Va. Code §19.2-354, Effective July 1, 2016: Includes provision that that “[a]ny payment agreement authorized under this section shall be consistent with the Rules of Supreme Court of Virginia, including any required minimum payments or other required conditions.”
The information on this site is not legal advice. The materials available here are available as sources of information only.
Contact a lawyer if you need legal assistance.